Pages

Friday 4 March 2016

February Wrap Up: Knitting and Travel

This month has been a month of many books, but little reading. As my last post says, I bought a lot of books in Germany, and continued the trend on my trip to Sweden, from which I returned a couple of days ago. While there, I bought four books and my boyfriend gave me a fifth. The books are: Jane Eyre in Swedish translation, 'The Cape' and 'The Nose' by Gogol (also in Swedish translation), Udda Verklighet, by Nene Ormes and Eld, the second book in the Engelfors trilogy by Mats Strandberg and Sara Bergmark Elfgren, to follow on from the first book which I bought earlier on in the month.

But, no finishing of books has been done. I've read a fair bit, mostly from Cirkeln, which is the first book of the trilogy, and also a LOT of The Cyberiad which continues to be an absolute joy. I have also torn my way through a few Enid Blyton school stories, but I can't count that in good faith.

My fingers have been otherwise occupied. I wanted to finish the second sock I started knitting, but then decided I would rather finish the scarf I've been making since October. Sadly, it is still not finished, although I very well may finish it today. The scarf was far to big to take with me to Sweden, unless I wore it, and I somehow doubt that airport security would be okay with me wondering around with two massive needles attached to my neck. So, I brought the second sock with me instead... only to run out of yarn just before I finished the toe! I set those socks aside, and started on a pair that I promised my aunt. I had managed to misplace my slightly larger double pointed needles JUST before packing them, and still haven't managed to find them, so there I sat trying to knit aran on 2.5mm needles. This didn't go so well. I got a few inches in before realising the sock would be too small, even for me, and I had to rip it out and start all over again. I've gotten a bit further, but I believe the sock will still be too small, so I've put it on hold until I see my aunt again and can measure it against her. Hopefully it goes well. So, I've done a big circle, back to the everlasting scarf again.

I have no travel plans for this month, having blown my budget last month. It would be nice to make it to visit some friends around the UK, but sadly not likely. That gives me much more time for finishing my current knitting projects and starting at least one more (socks for my sister - I'm addicted!), more time for reading and more time for language study. I managed to read 100 pages of The Cyberiad last month - I realised about two weeks in that hoping to finish it was too ambitious, even for my overly ambitious self. I've got a little over 120 pages more to go, so maybe I'll be able to get through that in those two extra days that March brings. Otherwise, I should finish Cirkeln and start a new Swedish book (probably Reser med lätt bagage by Tove Jansson - the book from my boyfriend). I'll also try Je voudrais que quelqu'un m'attendais quelquepart by Anna Gavalda again, although I'm not holding my breath. When I'm done with The Cyberiad, I'll read a bit more of Bone Jack, and maybe start one of the many other English books on my bookshelves, waiting to be read.

No comments: