Pages

Thursday 7 April 2016

Review: Sabriel

Well, I'm on a roll! Here I am with yet another finished book - this time, Sabriel by Garth Nix.

I really enjoyed this book, continuing also the roll of books I've loved. There still hasn't been a single book this year that I've felt like I haven't liked. Fingers crossed for a continuation on this theme.

I'm definitely very late to the party with Sabriel, so I'll make this brief. I loved the magic system Nix dreamt up, and I even at one point found myself shaking with pleasure. It is so unusual, and so exquisite. I look forward to reading more, and seeing how the Charter, Necromantic and Free Magics all work and where (if at all) they intersect.

I also loved Sabriel as a character. Nix strikes the perfect balance between weakness and strength with her. What she knows, she knows well, and makes good use of. She is strong willed enough to stand on her own two feet, and wise enough (mostly) to know when she'd do well to lean on someone else's strength or understanding. She is in a tough situation and it shows, but without her being spoilt or bratty or completely selfish. She's amazing!

One of the few things I wasn't really a fan of - perhaps the only thing - was the romance. I found myself laughing so that I didn't have to roll my eyes. They didn't feel wrong as a couple, necessarily, but the entire thing felt a bit closer to insta-love than I would expect. I'm fairly sure that it's been proven that two people who experience a trial together are more likely to experience romantic feelings for each other, and it seems like all of YA is based on this theory. BUT. Spare me the sop bucket, please! The spontaneous kisses between Sabriel and Touchstone felt somewhat out of character, the crying from Sabriel when she thinks that Touchstone is canoodling and more with a maid brought to rise the desire to whack her one. I like that Sabriel understands that part of her attraction to him is because he is literally the first eligible male she has met ever. And I also like that Touchstone's declaration of love everlasting* takes very much into account the fact that Sabriel might not want that. But yeah. Maybe this is just me nitpicking.

This book counts for the Mount TBR challenge (and finishing it also takes me down to only 26 'Currently Reading' books, yay!)

Happy Reading,
Little Newman

*Okay, I exaggerate vastly.

No comments: