Pages

Tuesday 5 September 2017

Don't Try this at Home by Angela Readman

Much has happened since I last posted! I have created and forgotten two placeholder drafts, been on holiday three times in one month and moved country! I say this, to excuse me from ever writing and posting the two placeholder drafts which I created some months back. Sorry, you are to be sorely deprived of my experiences of the Polyglot Gathering in Bratislava and the mid-year bumper edition Lit Corner I had lined up.*

This is also the reason I haven't written up my review of Angela Readman's Don't Try this at Home here - I simply forgot completely that it was something I ought to do! I bought this book in March last year, and had wanted it a while before that. I read it in a bit of a hurry in the days leading up to my move as I knew I wouldn't be able to bring that many books with me, and also because I had promised to lend it to someone.** As it has been a while, I will be cheap and copy-paste the Goodreads review I wrote at the time here.

"I liked this book more than I thought I would after reading the first couple of stories, but less than I wanted to. Overall, I only really enjoyed two stories: 'Surviving Sainthood' and 'There's a Woman Works Down the Chip Shop'. There were a few others which I liked, but not enough, unfortunately."

So, for a book I had been looking forward to for so long, really not great. Maybe part of the problem was the anticipation, but a huge part of it was simply due to a disconnect between myself and the stories. I can no longer put my finger on the why of it, can only say that the whole experience left me feeling kinda cold.

This book counts toward the Mount TBR Reading Challenge.

*I may well get to the latter at some point, if only because I have in there a couple of books that have been mentioned before. As for the former... well they're hosting the event in Bratislava again next year and hopefully this time I won't be moving countries just a short month later! 
**Okay, to two someones. Maybe even three. Sorry for the confusion, all!

No comments: