Pages

Tuesday 7 January 2014

Lit corner!

This year, as with last year and the year before, I am signed up for the Goodreads reading challenge. All it entails is you setting yourself a goal of how many books you want to read, and then reading them.

Last year, and the year before, I set myself the pretty ambitious goal of 100 books. Kind of embarrassing that I only finished six :/ this year I'm going with the more reasonable goal of 50 (although it's still quite a lot!) I don't count rereads because - well, it's a challenge. I'm notoriously terrible at finishing things, anyone who knows me can vouch for that. So this time round I hope to at least break into double digits.

I'm not just doing this as a challenge, I'm doing it for me. People who don't know much about literature students are surprised when they hear I don't really read. People who don't know much about lit students, but who do know a lot about me are more surprised. When I was younger I was constantly reading. During class, when walking, at meals... I tell you, the literary character I most identified with was Matilda, and not just because of the magic powers!

I wanna get back to that. I want to start reading again because I like being a reader. It's one of the few things I ever did with any real dedication, and it is a huge part of my personality. So who am I without books?

At any rate, the challenge is off to a good start. I finished my first book today - La Résistible Ascension d'Arturo Ui by Bertolt Brecht. I read it for a class but I enjoyed it nonetheless. When I've got another book or two under my belt, I'll do a Lit Corner for y'all :)

Happy Reading and
Happier Blogging
This is Little Newman,
Over and out

No comments: