Pages

Friday 13 August 2010

Hai!

My personal vocabulary hs once again, extended after spending the day with my dad's Polish friend and her two year old son :)

He is adorable, and very very friendly. He is also good- obediant, and he shares astoundingly well. Because he is so young, he doesn't differentiate between Polish and English, so when he spoke, it was in a mixture of the two, and I often found myself being casully chatted at in Polish, which was sweet. And so, on to my new words (which I shall have to hazard a guess at spelling). Pacha which means look, and tot which means this, but which I believe can also mean there. I remember these especially because his mother told me their meanings twice, and when we were dropping them back home, we saw a rainbow, and I was told by little Mimi (the little boy) 'opacha tot!' to look as the rainbow :)

I say I add them to my own personal vocabulary, because I like that my daily conversation contains elements of languages other than English (although I was embarassed the other day when I responed with 'hai!' to a friend's question, and she gave me the oddest look!) I often contain elements of French and German in my daily conversation- I keep it simple, no worries! Jut a 'nein' or 'danke-schon'. Sometimes I stretch myself further, to the limits of my French/German vocabulary.

Rechuisity Forceps taught me a very nice Yiddish word the other day- nu. It means 'is it not so' and I think it's very handy, and quicker to say than innit; more elegant as well.

Angie told me the other day she spontaneously replied in Latin to a question rather than in British!
I think that's brilliant! I only wish we spoke another language at home. I'd love to be bilingual.

On anther topic, I yesterday went on a day of Waterstones with Angie.
We went to the Gower Street Waterstones, which is the largest educaion bookshop in Europe (!!!) and then from there, we took a quick bus ride down to the flagship store in Piccadilly. I confess; our main reason for going there was to sit on the fifth floor, where a certain favourite indie-kid actor of ours sometimes spends time.

We were not prepared for the high levels of swank that met us when we got there! I was so nervous, I made us go downstairs while I regained my composure!
It was not the average Costa Coffee I had been expecting. Oh, no. That is the basement level cafe. I was exposed to the 'Fifth View, Bar and Restaurant'. The carpets were so plush I practically sank ankle deep in them, and they had all that reasonable extortionism one expects from a high class dedicated restaurant as opposed to an eatery on top of a bookshop!
But I confess, despite it having used pretty much ALL of my budget, I loved it there, and Angie and I fully plan to go and eat there so often that the waitresses recognise us.
In addition to this, the actual bookshop itself is lovely, very airy, and easy to find different things- Angie and I kept on losing ourselves in the History, Politics and Language sections, and I almost cried when I found the section devoted to linuistics.
So yes, I definitely include that on any London day trip 'to see list'.

Hope your yesterdays and todays were as nice and educational as mine!
Sitting on the floor of my bedroom with the laptop charger digging into my leg
Lots of love and
Happy Blogging!
Little Newman
xxx

No comments: